Tuesday, September 15, 2009

May I have this too?



One evening in Taiwan, Kelli, Sunghye, and I found ourselves climbing up the stairs to The Rock Cafe. As we walked through the door, the sounds of conversations, laughter, and music filled our ears. Little lights were strung around the large room filled with tables and chairs, a shiny bar with wooden stools, fancy mugs filled with coffee or sodas, acoustic guitars hanging on the walls, and even a piano (my favorite!). Suddenly, a young college student invited us to sit with her and her close friend. Though they were both Taiwanese, their English was almost flawless. Our conversations danced from common interests to things we found really funny to stories from when we were younger... to see such a friendship develop in just hours was simply incredible. These girls, Emmabelle and Lucy, had already found a special place in my heart. As the night progressed, I found myself in a deep conversation with Emmabelle. As she asked questions about my life, I allowed myself to be completely transparent with her. And as I told Emmabelle about my relationship with the Father, her eyes lit up in a way I've never seen before. She asked me to share more and even made herself vulnerable by sharing areas of her heart with me. And then, the most beautiful thing happened... Emmabelle asked, "May I have this relationship with Him too? Will you show me?" With tears in my eyes and an overwhelming joy in my heart, I replied,"It would be an honor."

No comments:

Post a Comment